Blog

24th July 2012: 2nd IR Test Shot - Chester Cathedral

posted 24 Jul 2012, 13:03 by Mark Carline   [ updated 24 Jul 2012, 13:03 ]

 
 
Following on from my previous image of the Old Dee Bridge in Chester which was my first test infrared image, I managed to grab half an hour at lunchtime to get into Chester on what’s been said was one of the hottest days this year.  The main reason for going out was that I’ve read that these very hot sunny days produce some of the best infrared images.

This was taken with an unconverted Canon 5d Mark II with a 17-40 F4L lens and used a 77mm Hoya Infrared R72 filter at ISO 200, F5.6 and bracketed at -2,0,+2 exposures (15 sec, 60secs and 4 minutes).  The two things I have done differently compared with my first image were that:

1) This time I used the eyepiece cover (usually attached to the Canon camera strap) as it was a long exposure and didn't want light leaking in from the back.

2) I enabled the setting in the menu "long exposure noise reduction feature" to reduce noise in these long exposures (this worked very well by the way).

23rd July 2012: 1st IR Test Shot - Old Dee Bridge in Chester

posted 24 Jul 2012, 12:45 by Mark Carline   [ updated 24 Jul 2012, 13:01 ]

Old Dee Bridge in Chester (InfraRed & HDR)

 
Inspired by a recent article I saw in Advanced Photographer magazine I went out on a very bright Sunday afternoon for half an hour to test out shooting in InfraRed. I used a 77mm Hoya Infrared R72 filter on a (unconverted) Canon 5d Mark II with a 17-40 F4L lens. I had a few challenges using InfraRed as I’ve never done it before but I (kind of!) managed to sort the issues out as follows:
 
Focusing: I tried to use the infinity marker on the 17-40 lens but found this to be completely inaccurate. I did end up using liveview and the camera set to “exposure simulation” mode in the menu which gave me enough light to focus with.
 
Exposure: This was really hit and miss and I remembered that in the article in Advanced Photographer a lot of the examples where shot at f5.6, ISO 200 and then bracketed the shots at -2, 0 and +2 with a base exposure of around 15 seconds, this seemed to work well.
 
Post-processing: This was the greatest challenge as I now purely use Lightroom 4.1 for my post processing (CS6 is too expensive and long winded). The biggest challenge was that the white balance range in Lightroom is limited to 2000k so to get around this you have to create a custom camera profile using a utility from Adobe called "DNG Profile Editor”. I created myprofile for my Canon 5d mark ii with a Temperature of -100 and a Tint of -50 using this method. Once the raw files where imported to Lightroom I used this camera profile to correct the white balance to something that “looked” more like an Infrared image.
 
HDR: As I had bracketed the images to see if the exposure was correct and the normal “0” exposure was fine I decided to also use the -2 and +2 exposures to create a higher dynamic range in the final image (this was done in Photomatix), I think this worked well if you look at the detail under the arches of the bridge.
 
NOTE: Lightroom & Infrared users! – If you shoot Infrared using a unconverted camera and you do your post-processing solely using Lightroom then I’d be really keen for your comments and suggestions of how you do it (please comment below) – thanks!!

1-2 of 2